As promised, CyanogenMod community's former software programmers have released the new LineageOS custom ROM series to the 2014 flagship phone OnePlus One.
The new LineageOS 14.1 is based on Google's Android 7.1 Nougat software. It brings night mode, bundled notification, improved battery optimisation, multi-window options and numerous other value-added features to enhance user experience.
>Android 7.0 Nougat released: 16 key upgrades of Google's new mobile OS update over Marshmallow
Prerequisites [Things to remember before installing Custom ROM]:
- In LineageOS, Root file will not be integrated like CyanogenMod, instead it will made as separate file as Google Apps. This means users have to download and install Root firmware similar to Google Apps (GApps).
- LineageOS users are advised wipe the current ROM in the device when switching to LineageOS, and reinstall their GApps.
- This new Android 7.1 Nougat-based LineageOS custom ROM nightly has to be installed only on OnePlus One aka Bacon models only; if tried on other devices, it might brick them [To check your device model: Go to
About phone >>
- Make sure the device is rooted (Bootloader unlocked) before going forward. [
>How to unlock Bootloader
- Though installing custom ROM improves the device's performance and UI experiences, it makes the company warranty void and it will no longer be liable to provide updates in future [users can restore warranty by flashing the device with stock-ROM].
- Installation of custom ROM requires clearing of memory in the smartphone. So make sure to back all the data by installing Clockwork Mod (CWM) Recovery/ TWRP (v3.0.2-0).
- Make sure you have installed USB drivers on the PC, or else the device will not be recognised by the computer.
- Make sure your device has more than 80 percent battery, or else there is a chance of the smartphone getting temporarily bricked if the installation process is interrupted mid-way.
Disclaimer: This procedure is very technical and should be performed by a person with sound knowledge of rooting (or manual software installation) Android devices. If the step-by-step installation process is not followed properly, there are chances of the smartphone getting bricked or being permanently irreparable.
IBTimes India cannot be held responsible for any damage or claims from readers if the procedure does not yield the required results or if the smartphone is bricked. Hence, users are advised to proceed with caution.]
Tutorial: Step-by-step installation procedure of LineageOS v14.1 Android 7.1 Nougat custom ROM nightly on OnePlus One via TWRP recovery method:
Step 1: DownloadLineageOS v14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM nightly and Google Apps on to your PC.
[Note: downloadable file links are provided at the bottom]
Step 2: Connect OnePlus One to the computer
Step 3: Place the LineageOS v14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM nightly into the phone's storage memory.
[Note: Users are advised to paste the .zip file in the storage root folder, not in any other folder.]
Step 4: Turn off device and disconnect it from PC
Step 5: Perform Recovery mode sorties by long pressing Volume (Down) + Power buttons
Step 6: Once entering the TWRP settings menu, clear phone's memory (full) by selecting 'Wipe' option. Once done, select – 'Swipe to Factory Reset' perform factory reset
Step 7: Return to TWRP settings and tap 'Install' by the selecting .Zip file in the phone's memory downloaded from PC
Step 8: Come back to TWRP menu setting to approve the installation by tapping 'Swipe to Confirm Flash'
Step 9: Flashing of the custom ROM begins and after few minutes, a message 'Successful' appears on the screen, thus completing installation.
Step 10: If faced with boot loop problem, navigate back to TWRP settings, and select 'Wipe cache/dalvik'. This procedure will help resolve any issue with regard to custom ROM installation
LineageOS v14.1 Android Nougat custom ROM nightly:
Google Apps: >HERE
USB driver: >HERE
[Credits: LineageOS community]