The Android 5.0.2 Lollipop update was released late in December and is intended to deliver a number of crucial fixes that address serious Android 5.0 bugs that range from random crashes, Wi-Fi issues, and poor battery life. Now, a version of Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM is available via CyanogenMod 12 nightly.
“We would like to note that at this point we consider ourselves 85% complete for our initial CM12 M release. We’ll spend the remainder of this month bringing up additional devices and finishing up the features you’ve come to love from CM11 – implementing them into the new Material UI,” according to a post on the official website of CyanogenMod.
Even though CyanogenMod's statement confirms that we still have another month before the Lollipop-based CM12 M is ready for release, the CyanogenMod 12 nightly builds will be available in 31 devices, which are listed here.
For now, we are sharing a tutorial on how to download Android 5.0.2 Lollipop custom ROM for the Samsung S5 LTE.
Before we begin with the Android 5.0.2 Lollipop CyanogenMod 12 Nightly ROM download, please be aware that the CM12 ROM is still unfinished and may possess untested bugs and broken features. Proceed at your own risk.
- The following guide is for the Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE variant only. Make sure your model number matches by navigating to Settings > About Phone
- The phone must
at least 80% battery charge to prevent device shutdown by battery drain during the installation progress
- Back up data and settings using a recommended custom recovery tool, like ClockworkMod(CWM) or TWRP, as it creates a complete image of the existing phone setup. In Recovery, choose Backup and Restore and tap Backup
- Verify correct
USB drivers for the phone are installed on the computer (download Galaxy S5 LTE USB drivers)
- Enable USB Debugging mode via Settings > Developer Options (if running Android 4.0 or above) or Settings > Applications > Development (if running Android 2.3 or earlier)
- Ensure that the device is rooted with CWM recovery installed and its bootloader is unlocked
Android 5.0.2 CyanogenMod 12 ROM on Samsung Galaxy S5 LTE
- Download CyanogenMod 12 Android 5.0.2 custom ROM for Galaxy S5 LTE on the computer.
- Connect and mount the phone's USB mass
storage on the computer with the USB cable.
- Now, copy the downloaded CM12 ROM zip file to the root folder on the phone's SD card.
- Power off the phone and disconnect its USB cable from the computer.
- Now boot the device into
Recovery Mode by pressing Volume up,
and Power buttons on your phone.
- Once the phone enters into CWM Recovery, perform a full data wipe task by clicking Wipe Data/Factory Reset. Use the Volume keys to navigate between options and the Power button to select an option in the Recovery Mode.
- Then, perform Wipe Cache Partition and wait until the process completes.
- Now perform Wipe Dalvik Cache as well. To do this, go to the 'advanced' option and then clickWipe Dalvik Cache. This will help in preventing boot loop issues or any boot ROM related errors during firmware installation.
- Then return to the main recovery menu and choose Install
Zip from SD card.
- Now click Choose Zip from SD card. Use volume keys to navigate to the CM12 ROM zip filethat you copied earlier to your phone's SD card and choose it by tapping the Power button. Confirm the ROM installation on the next screen and the installation process will begin.
Note: Repeat Step 9 and Step 10 to install Google Apps (Gapps) as well.
- Once both the Gapps and ROM are installed, go to "+++++Go Back+++++" and select Reboot System Now in the Recovery menu.
The phone will now reboot. The first reboot may take up to five minutes. Finally, go to Settings to make sure the phone is successfully running on the latest Android 5.0.2 Lollipop via CM12 custom ROM.